Thursday, May 8, 2014

reading before bed - the cookbook edition

I always have more than one book on the go. Do you read more than one at once too? Often I'm reading a fiction, self-improvement, popular science and lately a cookbook simultaneously. My library card really gets a workout. If I had unlimited disposable income I'd spend it on books, not shoes. Remember the Beast's library that Bell fell in love with? Stuff dreams are made of.

Lately I've been reading:

The Real Girl Kitchen by Haylie Duff
Want to escape for an afternoon coffee date in Venice Beach, Cali? This book feels like a long conversation with an old friend. Haylie shares her favourite recipes and the stories behind them. Have you heard about her new show? You can stream it free on ora.tv.

Cooked by Michael Pollen
I want to live my life in this book. Early mornings with crusty sourdough bread. Sunday afternoons sweating onions for a curry. Weekend long slow cooked pork bbq events. An afternoon making cheese with a nun. There's more reading than recipes in this book, but Michael makes you appreciate the food and the love and care that goes into preparing a delicious meal. Have you ever sweated onions for hours? Yeah, me neither. But even 20 minutes totally changes their flavour.

Ruhlman's Twenty by Michael Ruhlman
Twenty techniques. One Hundred recipes. The Chef's manifesto. I head about this book on Alton Brown's podcast. He said it was the book he wished he'd written. One of the chapters in on onions. I wonder if sweating onions or creating a soffrito (carrots, onions, celery cooked until they break down) is something that could be done as part of weekend meal prep. It would take weekday meals to another level. I'm realising I prefer to batch cook recipes that can be used as a base for meals through out the week opposed to putting 5 days worth of chicken/broccoli/rice in tupperwears. Which do you do?

Relish by Daphne Oz
I love The Chew. It's my sick day guilty pleasure. Did you put it together that Daphne Oz is Dr. Oz's daughter? I didn't until I picked up her book. Daphne wants us all to create a life that we relish. Her book is broken into different life aspects with corresponding recipes and is full of her tips and tricks. Have you seen the broiled grapefruits popping up on food blogs? Daphne first introduced me to the idea. I know, it sounds so weird but you just have to try it! My go to snack this winter, though my co-workers thought I was crazy. 10min in the toaster oven on broil. The top will just start to caramelize and the center will be nicely warmed through.

UnDiet by Meghan Telpner
The introduction almost had me in tears. I felt like Meghan was speaking directly to me and telling me exactly what I needed to hear. I love it when that happens. She too has struggled with her health and found solace though nutrition. Meghan includes meal plans and a cleanse section that is more than surviving off juice for 3 days. If something feels off in your life your daily habits are a likely contributing factor. She takes a lifestyle approach and asks you to notice how you feel. Be sure to try the spring rolls with almond butter sauce. Just do it.


Coming up on my reading list:
The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon
Joyous Health by Joy MacCarthy
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

No comments:

Post a Comment